Car Seat Safety
Is Your Car Seat Installed Correctly?
Let us check!
Did you know that 73 percent of children’s car seats are installed incorrectly? At CAA Atlantic, we’re on a mission to ensure children’s car seats of all shapes and sizes are installed properly. A properly used seat can reduce the risk of fatal injury by 71%.
All CAA Atlantic branches now offer car seat inspections, free for Members. Trained and certified by Child Passenger Safety Association of Canada, our inspectors are ready to assist you.
Appointments are available at a CAA branch near you.
Installing your own car seat?
Here are some tips:
- Make sure the harness is snug.
- Attach the seat to your vehicle using the lower anchors or seat belt. Ensure it’s as tight as possible to the seat.
- Always use the top tether on a forward-facing seat.
- Don’t rush to move your child from a car seat. A child must weigh at least 18 kg (40 pounds) and be able to sit properly without moving around or unbuckling themselves before moving to a booster.
- Keep your child in a booster seat for as long as possible. Your child is safest riding in a booster seat until they’re at least 145 centimetres (4 feet, 9 inches) tall and can properly fit the adult seatbelt.